Thursday, August 14, 2008

'How I Joined Russia's Cyber War' + Commentary

Noah Shachtman writes on Danger Room:

Evgeny Morozov has written perhaps the smartest story yet on the online conflict between Russia and Georgia:

"Not knowing exactly how to sign up for a cyberwar, I started with an extensive survey of the Russian blogosphere. ...As I learned from this blog post... all I needed to do was to save a copy of a certain Web page to my hard drive and then open it in my browser..."

More here.

Note: Let's be clear here -- there had been, and continues to be, grass-roots hacktivist attacks against Georgian web properties. But let's also be clear that other forces are also clearly at work here, and were in play long before this became a hacktivist issue.

Anyone suggesting that this is not the case is clearly naive. -ferg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home