Friday, April 04, 2008

Companies Struggle As Safari Pops Up on Networks

Robert McMillan writes on CIO.com:

Network administrators are complaining that Apple's recent decision to offer users its Safari Web browser as part of an iTunes and QuickTime update has made their lives harder, as they struggle to remove the software from PCs on their networks.

For Cody Wilson, the trouble began a few weeks ago, when he noticed that Safari had popped up as a download option with his Apple Software Update, the program that is used to update iTunes and QuickTime.

Wilson, a network administrator with Soy Capital Bank and Trust in Decatur, Illinois, soon found out that many of the users on his network had installed the software without realizing it. "I went into work the next day and I scanned my network, and my inventory software said I have Safari on 30 PCs," he said.

More here.

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 04, 09:18:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't understand why Safari is a security risk. I thought it was a safe browser. I understand that when we download a Quicktime update, we shouldn't have to worry about other programs being forced. But is it a bad browser?

 
At Fri Apr 04, 09:32:00 PM PDT, Blogger Fergie said...

Yes, it is a security risk.

See:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9728500-7.html

...for starters.

- ferg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home