Monday, May 21, 2007

Score Card on ICANN Board and How DotCom Savvy They Are

Jay Westerdal writes on the Domain Tools Blog:

The ICANN Board controls the Internet. So you would think they were more DotCom savvy but that is not the case. We looked at the Board Member’s names and found that most of the board didn’t even own their own name. There were a few exceptions but overall we gave the board a grade of “D” on being DotCom Savvy.

Joichi Ito (AKA “Joi Ito”) was the most dotcom savvy person on the board, He owns his last name dotcom and his firstname+lastname+dotcom, I think Joi picked up his name in a pool .com drop auction. I would safely say Ito understands domain names far better then most of his fellow board members.

As of this post, every last name of a board member is gone. However while researching for this story I registered the last names of Wodelet, Getschko, and Rionge. I gave those board members failing marks because their last name was available and they had failed to register it. (As a side note, they are free to have their name from me, I just wanted to safe gaurd it before posting).

I gave failing grades to Vint Cerf and Paul Twomey because a domainer, Paul Gordon, bought their names and pointed them to ICANN Watch. I have to say that is funny but also sad. Francisco da Silva also got a failing grade because his name is currently being Domain Tasted.

More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home