Thursday, February 23, 2006

Righting Wrongs: U.S. Approves Visa for Indian Scientist

Shankar Vedantam writes in The Washington Post:

State Department officials said yesterday that the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi has granted a visa to a prominent Indian scientist who said he was accused of deception and potential links to chemical weapons production when he applied to a U.S. consulate.

Goverdhan Mehta said he was told two weeks ago that his visa had been "refused" and that his expertise in chemistry could be a threat to U.S. national security. The case caused a furor in India just days before a visit by President Bush next week that is aimed at building warmer ties between the world's two largest democracies.

More here.

1 Comments:

At Fri Feb 24, 03:27:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ha ...... This event made the news 'cause of two reasons: Indian Scientist and Visa Refusal.... I have been myself a victim of a policy like that and had to abondon going back to USA after living and working there for 6 years. My car, home, furniture and books, job all were lost just because of that. I contacted my lawyer, my employer contacted their lawyer to find out the reasons, but everytime they came out with lame excuses.

I am so sorry to say that US has surpassed even the most arrogant nations in practicing arrogance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home