Saturday, December 17, 2005

Kevin Smith: Slacker? Or Better Yet, Smarty Pants

'Clerks' is one of my favorite movies of all times. And if you like Kevin Smith, also check out the double DVD set, "An Evening With Kevin Smith." Excellent.



Image source: CNN


Craig Modderno writes in The New York Times:

Kevin Smith wrote and directed the slacker hits "Clerks," "Dogma" and "Chasing Amy," but lately it is his other life - maintaining six Web sites that he describes as "devoted to my fans and my films" - that seems to consume him.

"One site deals with comic books, another gives new filmmakers a chance to communicate and another offers merchandise from my movies," he said. "On each site I've got news about every major actor I've worked with; reviews of my movies that are written by fans, which pull no punches, and notices about special events."

Viewaskew.com, the site of his production company, made its debut in June 1996 and has the highest profile of Mr. Smith's Web enterprises. But together, the six sites receive more than 100,000 hits a day and have nine employees, he said. Mr. Smith won't reveal how much money the sites generate. "Let's just say I make enough money to take my wife and daughter on a nice vacation, which I did last year," he said. "And I still spent two hours each day on the Web sites, vacation or not, because the sites can pay off in other ways."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home